Monday, July 9, 2012

Wolf Boy's Baby

My husband and I were watching television tonight and there was a tease through out one of those so-called news magazine shows.  It was a cat on a balcony with the apartment on fire behind her.  Through the show they teased with the question.  Would the cat survive?  They would show the poor thing wriggling around and the fire blazing in a menacing manner. 

My husband looked at me and said "It's Wolf Boy's baby".

This is part of the secret family language.  Let me explain.





This is not the real Wolf Boy.  This is Michael J. Fox as "Teen Wolf".  But I wanted a picture to go with the story of Wolf Boy's baby.

Some years back my husband and I were just about ready to go to bed.  We had watched the late news and were shutting things down when the teaser came on for the next show.  It was "Ripley's Believe It Or Not."  On the screen came the Wolf Boy.  He was very hairy.  Next to him was his extremely pregnant wife. 

An ominous voice came on the screen giving a little history of the Wolf Boy.

Wolf Boy suffers from a rare genetic disorder known as hypertrichosis - or "werewolf syndrome" which causes a thick coat of hair to grow over every inch of his body except his palms and feet.  His family has a history of this unfortunate condition. 

Now the question was, would Wolf Boy's baby suffer from this disorder. 

My husband and I decided to stay up a little bit longer.  We had to find out.

So we "stayed tuned". 

There were other stories first.  I don't remember any of them.  After every segment we would get another tease.  Wolf Boy's wife would be stroking her pregnant belly, expressing her concern about Wolf Boy's baby.  Then there would be Wolf Boy setting up the crib and talking about his own childhood.  But no look at the baby.  Not yet.

It was getting to the end of the show, there were only a few minutes left.

I should note that this was before DVR and we probably didn't have any blank VHS.  That was the way things worked around the turn of the century.  Today we would just set record and go to bed, knowing that we could see it at our leisure.

But this was in the nineties.  So we had to wait.

Then, with only 30 seconds left in the show we finally got a shot of Wolf Boy's baby.


Not the actual Wolf Boy's baby.

It was just a regular baby.

Now don't get me wrong.  I didn't want an innocent child to have to suffer from this unfortunate disorder, but come on.  I stayed up and all I get is a normal, regular baby!

From then on whenever there is a tease on a show, "Inside Edition" is one of the worst offenders of this, my husband and I know.

It is just Wolf Boy's baby. 

The cat jumped and was perfectly fine. 

Yes. 

I watched to the end to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment