Thursday, July 5, 2012

Brave - 2012




I loved, loved and totally loved this movie. 

Merida is not your typical Disney heroine. 

Princess Merida: There comes a day when I don't have to be a Princess. No rules, no expectations. A day where anything can happen. A day where I can change my fate.






Her parents are supportive and loving.  She has gotten her spirit from them both.  Her mother is determined to make her a proper young lady.  After all she is a princess.


Queen Elinor: Merida, a princess does not set her weapons on the table.
Princess Merida: Mom, it's just my bow!
Queen Elinor: A princess should not have weapons in my opinion.
King Fergus: Princess or not. Learning to fight is essential!


They are the part of a clan and the expectation is that she will marry one of the sons from another clan.  But the last thing Merida wants to is get married.   When the families hold an archery contest for her hand, Merida takes her fate into her own hands.





This sets off a chain of events that threaten to unravel all the she knows and loves.  But through it all she keeps her spirit and independence.  And I don't want to give too much away, but it is great to see a Disney movie that doesn't end in a "happily-ever-after" wedding. 





There are lots of fun moments.  She has adorable little brothers that help save the day. 




There is kilt related wackiness.





There is so much more. Red-headed heroines are forever redeemed.  After all, Ariel, the little mermaid was the last one.  She gave up her voice for a man!  Merida would never do that.

I went to see it with my mother and my 19 year old niece.  We all loved it.  We stayed through the credits, holding up the cleaning of the theater to see the final scene after the credits.  It is worth the wait. 

I hope there is a sequel, which has been rumored.  It is really a great movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment