Monday, May 7, 2012

The Raven - 2012




I had the day off so I decided to hit a matinee.  I chose the new John Cusack movie.  Big surprise as I love him.  (I will finish his movie list sometime) 





It is the story of the last days of Edgar Allen Poe.





John Cusack is much better looking.  Just my opinion. 

It shows a frustrated Poe who has stopped writing and is reduced to criticizing other writers to pay the bills.  He is living with a raccoon and has fallen in love with a girl whose father hates him.

He also has a major drinking problem.





But due to his money problems he can't get served in his favorite bars.  Suddenly people are getting murdered the same way Poe killed off fictional characters. 

When the police call him in to consult, he is dragged into the mystery. Soon his lady love disappears. 





What follows is a pretty decent mystery.  I don't know if I would have seen it in the theaters but I enjoyed it.  John Cusack is always solid, even in his proper 19th century mode.  The rest of the cast is good as well.  I liked that his lady, played by Alice Eve, wasn't a damsel in distress.  She had spark. 

Not a bad movie for a Monday afternoon.

Now to decide if I will see "Dark Shadows" in the theater this weekend.  I did buy the annual popcorn bucket, so we'll see if I get my money's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment