Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Three Stooges - 2012





I believe that I have mentioned in the past that I am an exceptional wife.  For example I don't make my husband endure chick flicks or Oscar worthy dramas.  My husband has the same opinion of these things that Shirley MacLaine so aptly expressed in "Steel Magnolias"

Ouiser Boudreaux: I do not see plays, because I can nap at home for free. And I don't see movies 'cause they're trash, and they got nothin' but naked people in 'em! And I don't read books, 'cause if they're any good, they're gonna make 'em into a miniseries.

But also being an exceptional wife I have accompanied my husband to a lot of movies I might not otherwise have seen.  In the past 23 years of our relationship we have seen a lot of Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler fare. 

As soon as I heard that they were making a Three Stooges movie I knew that it was inevitable. 

When the names of Sean Penn and Benicio Del Toro were bandied about in the casting process I thought it might be a serious behind the scenes look.  They did have a pretty dramatic story.  But then the trailer came out.  It was a modern take on the same old story.

I should note at this point that I have never liked the Stooges.  I just don't get why they are funny.  It is three guys verbally and physically abusing each other. 

My husband and son LOVE the Stooges.  I knew this before marriage but never guessed that I would have to deal with new Stooges. 

Yesterday my son called and said he was thinking of going to a movie.  I asked him what he was seeing and he said "The Three Stooges".  I told him that his father wanted to see it and they should go together.  I decided to go along and see another movie at the same time.

The only problem was that there wasn't anything I wanted to see.  I'd either seen it already or had no interest in it.  Which left me two options, stay home or go see "The Three Stooges."

I went. 





We start with the backstory of the boys.  They are left on a doorstep of an orphanage.  Then they grow up to go on a "Blues Brothers" style mission to save the orphanage.

My husband and son laughed uproariously throughout the movie.  I giggled a few times, more at my family than at the movie. 


 


The actors did look like the original Stooges.  It was very true to the original vibe.  And like the original Stooges I didn't like it.

If you like the Stooges you will like to the movie.

I went in with zero expectations.   Lower than zero.  I was glad my boys had a good time.  The best part?

I got chocolate covered raisins.

No comments:

Post a Comment