Saturday, April 7, 2012

Maverick - 1994




Today is James Garner's birthday.  I love him a lot.  I love just about everything he's done.  He has unbelievable charisma and poise.   This movie showcases him wonderfully.  I also like Jodie Foster and even pre-crazy Mel Gibson is delightful.  The best thing about this movie is that it seems like everyone is having a fabulous time.






Mel takes on the role of Bret Maverick and does it with his usual charm and humor. 


Maverick: Now, there's something I want you to do for me.
Annabelle: Never. I am a lady. Not if you were a hundred years old, not if I was a hundred years old...
Maverick: Calm down. I don't want to go to bed with you, lady.
Annabelle: Why not?
Maverick: Why - Why not? I'd be too frightened. God knows what parts of me you'd steal. I'd wake up with all sorts of things missing.







Jodie Foster has never looked better than she does in this movie. 


Maverick: I've just noticed something.
Annabelle: What?
Maverick: You can't help it can you? You are irresistible.






As Coop, James Garner is just sublime.


Maverick: My old pappy always used to say, "there is no more deeply satisfying religious experience... than cheatin' on a cheater."
Zane Cooper: I never said that once. You've been misquoting me all your life.
Maverick: What, we're going to quibble over fine points?
Zane Cooper: You never even get close. Give me some credit.


There are so many little cameos that it's like a game of "name that actor." 


















Maverick: Oh, you sure do pick the spots.
Joseph: Yeah, I know. You know the next time you people come and drive us off our land I'm gonna find a nice piece of swamp that's so God-awful, maybe then you'll leave us the hell alone.

This a funny movie. 

Happy 84th birthday James Garner.  I hope you have a few more movies in you.  I think you are awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment