Sunday, February 5, 2012

Super Bowl Sunday Movies

Since it is Super Bowl Sunday, I asked my husband to name some football movies.  Here is the list he came up with off the top of his head.


My Husband's Football Movies

 

North Dallas Forty



Mac Davis is the stud star quarterback.  Nick Nolte plays the wide receiver who they want to cut because he's out of his prime and he's getting shots in his knees.  When my husband saw that movie in the theater, there was no sound for the first ten minutes of the movie.  He thought it was supposed to be that way until the cops come in to bust Nick Nolte and there was still no sound.  And then the team didn't win the game. 

The Replacements




Here is what we know about this movie.  It is about the teams during the NFL players strike.  It stars Keanu Reeves.  Neither my husband nor I have seen it.  I only like Keanu in "Parenthood" and "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure".

Rudy




Sean Astin.  Football underdog.  Fighting Irish.  That is all I know.  And Vince Vaughn is in it with Jon Favreau.  It is how they became friends.


Longest Yard


   


There are two versions.  Burt Reynolds is in both of them.  I haven't seen the original but I liked the Adam Sandler version.   And I don't often admit I like Adam Sandler. 


Jerry Maguire





This is a romantic comedy hiding in a football movie.  Cuba Gooding Jr. does the football thing great.  I love the scene where his wife is freaking out watching him injured on television.  I always feel bad for the families.  It is one thing to watch your loved one get hurt, it is another to have it replayed over and over from different angles and in slow motion.


Brian’s Song





This is a guy's chick flick. 

[last lines]
Coach George Halas: Brian Piccolo died of cancer at the age of 26. He left a wife and three daughters. He also left a great many loving friends who miss and think of him often. But when they think of him, it's not how he died that they remember - but how he lived. How he did live!


Ace Ventura





Not your classic football film, but it has real NFL players and is set around the Superbowl.  There is a dolpin called Snowflake.  And one of my husband's favorite lines.

"LACES OUT!!!"


Waterboy





Adam Sandler loves football.  I have written about this one.


Wildcats





Goldie Hawn as a football coach to inner city kids.  It started the careers of Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes.  Also, since it is an eighties comedy, you see Goldie Hawn's boobies.

Here are a few I thought of:

Friday Night Lights





Tim McGraw's film debut.  Classic inspirational football movie.  I never saw the television show spin off.


Blind Side





Sandra Bullock won an Oscar for this one.  It is based on a true story of a family that takes in a kid and helps him make it to the NFL.  Tim McGraw is in this one too.

Lucas




And finally, poor Corey Haim is in love and wants to impress a girl who is in love with Charlie Sheen.  Not good odds.  But it is a really sweet movie.

Happy Super Bowl Sunday!  Enjoy the big game.

No comments:

Post a Comment