Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pregnant In Movies

So today I had Molly Ringwald.  I was looking at IMDB.com and saw the George Clooney movie "The Descendants" on the front page.  Next to him was his movie daughter, Shailene Woodley, who plays Molly's daughter on her show "Secret Life of the American Teenager". 

Yes.  I have watched this show.  For Molly.  I am a child of the eighties. 

So, here is my leap.  In the show, SLOTAT, Molly's daughter has a baby at fifteen after a week at band camp. 




This show is a little annoying in that they talk about sex ALL THE TIME.  I am sure teenagers talk about sex, but I am pretty sure it isn't in such a clinical way.  I also doubt that real teenagers share the details of their sex lives with their parents.  But it reminded me of a little movie that Molly did back in the eighties.

It was realistic in a sweet eighties way where everyone lives happily ever after.




Darcy: I tried on my dress, for the prom, I look like a Thanksgiving Day float. I'm also itchy everywhere, my ankles are fat, there's something hanging out of my butt, the article's not going well and now I have to get a haircut.
Stan: There's something hanging out of your what?
Darcy: Well, when you're pregnant, sometimes you get hemorrhoids, okay?
Stan: Bummer.


"Waitress" is about a woman who isn't exactly thrilled at the idea of motherhood. 




Dr. Pomatter: So, what seems to be the problem?
Jenna: I seem to be pregnant
Dr. Pomatter: Congratulations!
Jenna: Thanks, but I'm not so happy about it like everybody else might be. I'm having the baby and that's that.

"Juno" is a girl who might not have planned to be pregnant, but works it out pretty quickly.  She actually has very little emotion about it and her boyfriend gets off Scot free.



Mark Loring: So... Let's talk about how we're going to do this thing.
Juno MacGuff: What do you mean? Don't I just have the thing? Squeeze it on out and hand it over?
Gerta Rauss: Mark and Vanessa are willing to negotiate an open adoption...
Mac MacGuff: What do you mean?
Juno MacGuff: Wait... No! I mean, can't we just, like, kick this old school? Like, I have the baby, put it in a basket and send it your way, like, Moses and the reeds?
Mark Loring: Technically, that would be kicking it Old Testament.
Gerta Rauss: ...So, we all agree that a closed adoption is the best decision for all involved?
Juno MacGuff: $$HHIT! YES! Close it up!


Now in old movies, there wasn't even a pregnant belly.



In "Father's Little Dividend", sequel to the original "Father of the Bride", Liz Taylor basically untucks her blouse and is a little weepy. 




Remake it, we get full on pregnant.  So pregnant her mom is pregnant too.  That is pretty pregnant.




Prosthetic bellies are better, but they don't depict it right.  It is all about women being whiny and emotional.  Granted, I cried watching the "Waltons" but not all the time.

I find it amusing that none of the women in these movies had actually been pregnant when they were in the movie featured. 

They have perfect pregnancies with cute little bellies.  They have short labors and torture the man they love in an amusing way.  But my favorite pregnancy movie is "She's Having A Baby".

It fits all the cliches.




But it is really sweet.  And the song, "Apron Strings" makes me cry every time.  And I am not even pregnant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment