Thursday, January 12, 2012

"Look Who's Talking" 1989



"Look Who's Talking"

Today is Kirstie Alley's birthday.  Hard to believe this movie is 22 years old.  We saw it in the theater when my son was a baby. 

She plays Mollie, who is having an affair with a married man.  When she finds out she is pregnant, she decides to protect him and tells everyone that she was artificially inseminated.



Rosie: What?
Mollie: Ma, I thought you'd be happy.
Rosie: How could you do such a thing?
Mollie: It was easy. I went to the clinic and got some frozen sperm. I brought it home, defrosted it, inserted it, and... and I'm pregnant.
Rosie: So that's it? Now you and the frozen pop are having a baby.
Mollie: Ma, it's not a frozen pop.
Rosie: It's not a husband. (Looks at her husband). Louie, you hear this?
Mollie: Ma, you were the one who told me that I could control my life, and I made a decision. I want to have a baby.
Rosie: I don't understand this. This is the kind of thing a girl does if she's very ugly or a lesbian. This is not the act of a beautiful, intelligent girl who can have any man she wants.
Mollie: Ma, you never liked any of my boyfriends anyway.
Rosie: Where did the sperm come from? I mean, who's the supplier?
Mollie: A medical student.
Rosie: And?
Mollie: He goes to Colombia. His parents live on the island. His father's in piece goods, his mother works for a cosmetics firm. Ma, she'd get you a great discount.
Rosie: So you're making fun of me, huh? You'll see. Someday, you'll have children.

When the boyfriend turns out to be a jerk, she ends up alone in a cab going to the hospital.



Luckily John Travolta is driving it.




Soon Mikey is here and has the voice of Bruce Willis.



And the haircut.



They all connect.



James: Mind if I borrow some of this?
[takes Mikey's bottle and pours the milk into his coffee cup]
James: Thank a lot, man.
[drinks coffee]
Mollie: Hey, you know, that's breast milk.
James: [spits out coffee] Really, now?
[turns to Mikey]
James: Why didn't you tell me?
Mikey: Hey, man, you're on your own.

I love the talking baby.  Bruce Willis does a great voice over.  He is sweet and dreamy.  When my son was a baby we used to have conversations for him too.  He wasn't as witty as Mikey.



There's dancing.



Academy Award winners.  Not the baby.  Or Kirstie Alley.



There are fights between old Daddy and future Daddy.



Hip hop crazy hats.



It has Abe Vigoda who is still alive. 



Did you know Kirstie was a Vulcan?

I love when Mollie imagines them living in squalor.

Mollie: You get everything for free. Free long distance phone calls, free lunches. I think you're sort of a scam artist.
James: I know. I got the town wired, don't I? Baby, think about it. If we were poor, we could still live like kings.

It is a sweet and cute movie.  And funny.

I'm tired.  I need to sleep more.  I hope I have a better post tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment