Monday, January 9, 2012

"The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" 2011



I saw this movie on Saturday.  It has been perculating in my mind ever since.  I wanted to enjoy it.  I really did.  I tried to read the book several times and it never worked for me.  I got about thirty pages in and just couldn't go on.  I have finished some pretty disappointing books but I just couldn't do it.  It was page after page of financial history of a business. 

When I asked the person who recommended it to me, he said that I just needed to get past the first 150 pages or so then it got good. 

Uh, no.  I gave up on the book.

So, knowing that they would cut out a lot of the set up, I decided to give the movie a chance. 



It is moody and gray.  The whole landscape is just blank.  Daniel Craig is Mickel, play without any emotion or nuance I could detect. 



Lisbeth Salander is talked about as a great heroine.  I talk alot about strong female characters.  I want a woman depicted as saving herself, not being saved at the last minute. 

I just didn't see it.  She preys.  She threatens and exacts revenge.  But I didn't see her as terribly strong.  I didn't like how she turned to her sexuality as a weapon of control. 

Maybe there are things in the book that would help me understand her but I just can't feel sympathy for her.  I really can't feel any sympathy for any of the characters in this movie.



Even the old man tortured by years of wondering and grieving.

One thing I dislike is good actors wasted in nothing roles.



Maybe there is more to her role in the other two books and she is just holding a place here, but she seems wasted in the role.

The thing I dislike the most about this movie.  I understand the story is Swedish.  I understand that the setting is important, to the story.  But why are people speaking English with a Swedish accent?

This device never made sense to me.  It they were speaking Swedish, there would be no accent.  Just act already.  I find the accents distracting.

So, what did I think?

I figured out the mystery pretty early on.  The guy in the seat a few down from mine was on the edge of his most of the movie, leaning forward, watching intently.

This is my opinion of course.   I still haven't decided if I like it yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment