Tuesday, December 6, 2011

"Elf" 2003



"Elf"




Buddy: You disgust me! How can you live with yourself?
Gimbel's Santa: Just cool it, Zippy.
Buddy: You sit on a throne of lies.
Gimbel's Santa: Look, I'm not kiddin'.
Buddy: You're a fake.
Gimbel's Santa: I'm a fake?
Buddy: Yes!
Gimbel's Santa: How'd you like to be dead, huh? Ho, ho, just kidding.
Buddy: You stink.
Gimbel's Santa: I think you're gonna have a good Christmas, all right.
Buddy: You smell like beef and cheese, you don't smell like Santa.


I have quoted the line "You sit on a throne of lies" many times without realizing that this movie had seeped into my conscience.   It wasn't till I had been saying it for months when I watched the movie and realize where it had come from.  I had allowed Will Ferrell into my brain.


This is a sweet movie. 
Buddy is a human that was raised by elves.  He doesn't quite fit in their world, but he is loved by his adoptive father and loves the life they share.  Despite that he struggles with being different.

Elf: It's okay, Buddy. Just how many Etch-A-Sketches did you make?
Buddy: I made... 85.
Elf: 85. Well, that puts you... 915 off the pace.
Buddy: Why don't you just say it? I'm the worst toy-maker in the world. I'm a Cotton-Headed Ninnymuggins!

When he finds out he was adopted he is anxious to meet his father.  His father is not so excited to see him. 
Walter: What do you want? Some money?
Buddy: No! I just wanted to meet you and thought maybe you might want to meet me.
Walter: Who wouldn't wanna meet you?

 
 
Buddy has an idea of what he'd like to do.
 
Buddy: First we'll make snow angels for a two hours, then we'll go ice skating, then we'll eat a whole roll of Tollhouse Cookiedough as fast as we can, and then we'll snuggle.

It is a really cute movie.  There is love and lots of Christmas joy.

We had a contest at a job I used to work at where my team got to choose a movie to watch.  It was almost unanimously voted for "Elf". 

I hate the term "New Classic".  It is an oxymoron.  But I imagine this is a movie that will stand the test of time. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment