Monday, December 19, 2011

"Die Hard" 1988



"Die Hard"

Yes, "Die Hard" is a Christmas movie.  It takes place during a nice little office Christmas party.  Alan Rickman aka Snape is a bad guy. 



He looks a little more put together as Hans.

John McClane travels from New York to Los Angeles to try and win his wife back.  When he gets there on Christmas Eve, he joins her office Christmas party.

John McClane: You throw quite a party. I didn't realize they celebrated Christmas in Japan.
Joseph Takagi: Hey, we're flexible. Pearl Harbor didn't work out so we got you with tape decks.

While he's changing into his party clothes, there is a big party crasher in the form of terrorists.  They claim they are there to fight the Japanese companies greed but are really after some money.

He takes the entire party hostage and kills the boss when he won't make it easier to rob him.

Hans Gruber: [addressing the hostages] I wanted this to be professional, efficient, adult, cooperative. Not a lot to ask. Alas, your Mr. Takagi did not see it that way... so he won't be joining us for the rest of his life. We can go any way you want it. You can walk out of here or be carried out. But have no illusions. We are in charge. So, decide now, each of you. And please remember: we have left nothing to chance.



I love that Bonnie Bedelia is a strong female character.  You get the feeling that even if her super detective husband hadn't shown up she would have been OK.

Holly Gennero McClane: I have a request. Hans Gruber: What idiot put you in charge? Holly Gennero McClane: You did. When you murdered my boss. Now everybody's looking to me. Personally, I'd pass on the job. I don't enjoy being this close to you.

There is a lot of back and forth between Hans and John.  It is a step above the typical dialogue for an action movie. 

Hans Gruber: [Hans' radio turns on] I thought I told all of you, I want radio silence until further...
John McClane: Ooooh, I'm very sorry Hans. I didn't get that message. Maybe you should've put it on the bulletin board. I figured since I've waxed Tony and Marco and his friend here, I figured you and Karl and Franco might be a little lonely, so I wanted to give you a call.
Karl: How does he know so much about th...
Hans Gruber: [silences Karl him with a gesture] That's very kind of you. I assume you are our mysterious party crasher. You are most troublesome, for a security guard.
John McClane: Eeeh! Sorry Hans, wrong guess. Would you like to go for Double Jeopardy where the scores can really change?
[speaking to dead man about cigarettes]
John McClane: Whoa, these are very bad for you.
Hans Gruber: Who are you then?
John McClane: Just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the a$$.

It has all you need for a Christmas movie.



Santa hats.



Crawling in chimneys, OK it's a ventilation system.  Close enough.



Giving gifts.



Spending time with loved ones.



And just hanging around.

The only difference is most guys will watch this movie. 

So, Merry Christmas and in the immortal words of...

John McClane:Yippee-ki-yay, motherf**ker.

No comments:

Post a Comment