Friday, November 25, 2011

I Love Christmas Movies, Mostly.

This is the official launch of the holiday season.  I refuse to acknowledge that Christmas is coming until Black Friday.  I worked too long in the retail world where the holiday music starts in September and the Christmas decorations are ready at the beginning of October to do anything else.

So I will review Christmas movies for the next month.  I love Christmas movies.  The more sentimental the better.   As we get closer to the holiday I will reveal my favorites.  There are a lot of them.

I like the television specials too.  But there is a heinous practice I have a problem with and can't keep quiet about anymore.

Just this week, there was a new Christmas special on television.



"Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas"

OK.  Mammoths haven't walked the earth in thousands of years.  In fact the sources I googled disagreed but all of them were pretty in sync that it was during a period referred to as B.C.

BC or B.C. may refer to: Before Christ, an epoch used in dating years prior to the estimated birth of Jesus

OK.  So Christmas is pretty universally known as the celebration of the birth of Jesus. 

So if mammoths disappeared anywhere from 4000 to 100,000 years B.C. how in the heck did they celebrate Christmas? 

I have been upset about this ever since "A Flintstone Christmas".  Again, the Flintstone's are a modern stone age family, but the stone age was also B.C. 



There have actually been several "Flinstone" Christmas specials.   Oh, the humanity.

I am fine with ridiculous Christmas specials but Santa Claus wasn't in the manger in Bethlehem bringing baby Jesus presents. 

This is almost as bad as the "Star Wars Christmas Special" starring Bea Arthur. 



And that one was a musical. 



Even Chewbacca looks embarrassed.



So if it set in the era of B.C. or happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, it is off limits for a Christmas special.

No comments:

Post a Comment