Thursday, September 8, 2011

"Working Girl" 1988

Working Girl
“Working Girl”

Olympia Dukakis is in “Working Girl” for all of two minutes. But it is her first movie after winning the Oscar for playing Cher’s mom. I wasn’t a huge “Moonstruck” fan, although I like Olympia Dukakis. She is incredible in “Steel Magnolias” which I will get to someday. So many movies to review!

Her scene is a blink and you’ll miss it cameo. Melanie Griffith’s character, Tess needs a new job assignment in the huge company. Olympia Dukakis is the personnel director.
Personnel Director: Tess, Tess, Tess, Tess. You don't get ahead in this world by calling your boss a pimp.
Tess McGill: Well, he is.
Personnel Director: Been lookin at your file here. This the third time in six months I had to place you.
Tess McGill: Wasn't my fault.
Personnel Director: Where've I heard THAT before?
Tess McGill: Ruth, lookit - I'm thirty years old. Took me five years of night school, but I got my degree and I got it with honors; I *know* I could do a job. I mean, you ask any of my bosses - even, even Lutz! - if Tess McGill hasn't called a few.
Personnel Director: YOU ask 'em. I don't think they're gonna sing your praises, Tess.

So, an Oscar winner gives us the necessary background information. We know that Tess is smart, has a temper and feels downtrodden. Now we are ready to launch the story.

In walks Sigourney Weaver. I like Sigourney, although she has been playing the same character in recent history. A lot of her characters are like Katherine Parker. Well spoken, smart and very full of herself. She has the perfect attitude to launch Tess into thinking she might have a mentor to help her up the corporate ladder. She passes out advice like it’s a fortune cookie.

On clothes.

Katherine Parker: Dress shabbily, they notice the dress. Dress impeccably, they notice the woman - Coco Chanel!
On business relationships.

Katherine Parker: Never burn bridges. Today's junior prick, tomorrow's senior partner!

But things really kick off when a vacation turns into a hospital stay. While running errands Tess discovers that her boss hasn’t been exactly upfront with her. Soon she is catapulted into action and decides to recruit Harrison Ford as Jack Trainer.

After a night of Valium with a tequila chaser, Tess passes out and ends up in bed with Harrison Ford. She sneaks out of his bed only to discover that her drunken hook up is the very man she wanted to meet.
Tess McGill: What did happen, exactly?
Jack Trainer: The earth moved. The angels wept. The Polaroids are, are, uh...
[gropes about in his coat pockets]
Jack Trainer: are in my other coat.
[Grins]
Jack Trainer: Nothing happened. Nothing happened!

The great banter continues. Tess takes chances and almost makes it when Katherine returns to muck things up. Luckily Tess perseveres and makes her dreams come true.

There is a lot to like about this movie. The awesome Carly Simon sings on the soundtrack.
Alec Baldwin is young, skinny and oily as her cheating boyfriend.
The amazing Joan Cusack as Cyn has gravity defying hair and was nominated for her own best supporting actress award. She lost to Geena Davis.
The ending is classic. Tess has a new power suit, a lunch packed by Harrison Ford and the job of her dreams. She is in her office, having just realized that it is really happening, looking out of her office window and calling her best friend.

Tess McGill: [on the phone] Cyn! Guess where I am...

No comments:

Post a Comment