Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"My Best Friend's Wedding" 1997

My Best Friend's Wedding (Special Edition)
“My Best Friend’s Wedding”

“I'm a busy girl. I've got exactly four days to break up a wedding, steal the bride's fella and I haven't one clue how to do it.”

I love Julia Roberts. I just do. It is safe to say I will be covering a lot of Julia Roberts movies in the future. She is funny, smart and has a great underlying vulnerability. She is given a run for her money by Cameron Diaz in this movie. You buy Dermot Mulroney as the object of their mutual affections. But Rupert Everett steals every scene he is in.

The thing I love most about this movie is that it is secretly a musical. The opening scene is right out of a fifties Debbie Reynolds movie, all pink and dreamy. There is karaoke in which Cameron Diaz sings badly. At the party before the wedding, we have boys singing quietly as Jules professes her love to Michael.

But the best is the group number at the lobster restaurant. It starts with George embarrassing Jules and builds until the entire room is singing along. There are lobster oven mitts waving in the air. Total fun.

See the video here!

I love a happy ending as much as the next person, but I like it when the ending isn’t predictable. Jules watches Michael marry Kimmy and then sits alone. There was an alternate ending in which Jules meets a handsome man. I am glad they ended it the right way. When Jules and George dance to their song and she laughs, you know she is going to be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment