Friday, August 19, 2011

"Misery" 1990

Misery

“Misery”

“He didn’t get out of the cock a doodie car!”
I love Stephen King. I have read most of his books multiple times and this is one of my very favorite adaptations. I am a firm believer that only Rob Reiner and Frank Darabont should be allowed to adapt his stories. They look past the occasional gross out moment and find the heart in the story. “Stand By Me” is an incredible coming of age film. “Misery” is a great thriller.

I saw this movie the first time in the theater. It is only the second time I went to a movie alone. The first time was when I saw “E.T.” Since then I’ve seen a lot of movies alone. It is actually my preference for most movies. I have friends that would go to some with me. I could drag my husband to a few. But I have come to enjoy sitting alone in the dark with no distractions and getting lost in the movie. Granted, some movies are better with company, especially comedies, but I like my alone time.

I have actually joked that this is my church as my favorite time to go is the first matinee on a Sunday afternoon.

Annie Wilkes is brought to Oscar winning life by Kathy Bates. Prior to this she was a stage actress and character actress. “Misery” changed all that and deservedly so. Kathy Bates is incredible.

In the book there is never an explanation for Annie’s insanity. It is just a fact, an obstacle to overcome for Paul Sheldon. I am grateful that Rob Reiner didn’t feel a need to explain it.
Paul Sheldon has the bad luck of missing a turn and wrecking his Mustang which was not meant for winter roads. I know this from experience. Mustangs are fair weather cars. His luck doesn’t improve when his “number one fan” saves him.

At first he believes he is lucky to be alive. Then his final Misery novel comes out and there is an ending that superfan Annie will not like.

Annie: YOU! YOU DIRTY BIRD, HOW COULD YOU!
Paul: What?
Annie: She can't be dead, MISERY CHASTAIN CANNOT BE DEAD!
Paul: Annie, in 1871, women often died during childbirth. But her SPIRIT is the important thing, and Misery's spirit is still alive.
Annie: I DON'T WANT HER SPIRIT! I WANT HER, AND YOU MURDERED HER!
Paul: No I didn't.
Annie: WHO DID?
Paul: No one did! She just died! She... she... slipped away!
Annie: SLIPPED AWAY! SLIPPED AWAY? SHE DIDN'T JUST SLIP AWAY! YOU DID IT! YOU DID IT! YOU DID IT! YOU MURDERED MY MISERY!

James Caan is good as Paul Sheldon. Not quite what I visualized reading the novel but he has the spirit of the character. He goes toe to toe with Kathy Bates. This is a two person character piece from beginning to end. Sure they throw in supporting cast, but it is all Annie and Paul, brought together by Misery.
The supporting cast is top notch with their little bits to fill in the blanks of the outside world. Richard Farnsworth and Frances Sternhagen are delightful as Buster and Virginia. Their banter offers laughs and they are convincing as a long married couple that are still feisty and in love.
Lauren Bacall is classy as Marcia Sendell, Paul’s publisher that sets Buster on the hunt for Paul. I have loved Lauren Bacall since I read her biography years ago. She is pretty feisty herself.
I am sure I'm not alone in my most memorable scene. As she explains the process of hobbling, I cover my eyes. I just can't. I’ve watched this movie at least twenty-five times and I still cringe as soon as she draws that sledgehammer back. My husband teases me. I know what is going to happen, but a little part of me hopes that “this” time she won’t do it. But she always does.
I love that Annie doesn’t let Paul cheat when he is bringing Misery back to life. I love that she watches “Love Connection”. I love that she has a porcelain penguin that faces south. I love that she is as crazy.

And I love the ending. Paul Sheldon, finally coming back to the world, trying not to freak out when Annie is pushing the dessert cart toward him. It turns out to be another “number one fan”, but you just know that Paul won’t take them for granted anymore.

Awesome movie. Great adaptation. One of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment